15 November 2012

web analytics gold.

Fact: Avinash Kaushik is a pure genius.

Avinash Kaushik is the Digital Marketing Evangelist for Google, the Co-Founder and Chief Education Officer for Market Motive, and the author of my next two must-reads (Web Analytics 2.0 and Web Analytics: An Hour A Day).

Occam's Razor by Avinash Kaushik. If you're infatuated by web analytics, then it should be a requirement to read everything from this blog. I appreciate this blog because you can learn about web analytics and Kaushik's articles radiate inspiration.

I'm still rummaging through all of his great blog posts, but I just finished taking notes and reading Web Analytics 101: Definitions: Goals, Metrics, KPIs, Dimensions, Targets. Yes, I take notes in my Moleskine on everything and anything I find awesome and useful. Kaushik is brilliant because he explains concepts and terms with examples that just make sense. Before reading this article, I was confused between a metric and a dimension but Kaushik defines the terms extremely well. A metric (count or ratio) is simply a number, but a dimension is an attribute of the visitor and their activity on your website. Dimensions are also important for analysis because they help to group your web data.

In addition to the examples, Kaushik plants pieces of advice and reminders throughout his articles that reinforce your understanding and learning. Now whenever I think about business objectives I'll remember that they must be DUMB: Doable, Understandable, Manageable, Beneficial. If you want to learn more about web analytics and relevant topics, then Occam's Razor is the place to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment