07 November 2012

something to think about.

On a daily basis, we are required to make all sorts of decisions. In the aggregate amount of decisions, I lost sense of what it means to really make a decision. Yesterday, I came across an insightful blog post written by one of the most influential people in my life, Dr. Nicole Radziwill.

In "Decidere: The Power of Decision," Dr. Radziwill notes the Latin origin of the word "decision," which is decidere - to cut off all other options. I (naively) thought that post-grad life would be a breezy walk in the park, but I was so wrong... and I'm happy that I was wrong. The anxiety of making the wrong decision plagues my mind everyday, but why should I worry about this?
"Being submerged in a continual stream of decisions not only weakens mental energy, but depletes emotional reserves (and willpower) too."
When I started the search for my first job in the professional workforce, I was worried about anything and everything. Where and when should I apply to jobs for better chances to be hired? Will I have a chance with this company? The infinite list of worries and questions clouded my judgment and, ultimately, deterred my endeavors to find a job.

Thank you, Dr. Radziwill, for illuminating my subconscious and showing me how to improve the quality of life by making decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment